Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Climbing the Research Mountain

I created this post as part of my Methods of Research class in University of Florida's online master of art education program.  We have our own class blog sites, which are only viewable to professors and classmates.  This class has been extremely challenging, so I felt compelled to post my reflections on my personal blog.  


Wow…. Here we are in our last week of class and as I look back to my first discussion post, I realize I have learned a great deal about research methods. As I started out climbing the research mountain, I didn’t have much of a vantage point. I could only see what was around me. The tip of the mountain seemed far off in the distance. During week one, we learned about how to best analyze and decode research papers. Learning how to read research properly is the foundation of understanding the purpose and intention of the researcher. It’s also the foundation to one’s own research. Just as art is not created in a vacuum, research begets other research. It inspires and informs. It’s the basis of our own scholarly research. It’s the map and compass of our research journey.

When I first started out on my research journey, I thought I’d explore themes of feminism and visual culture. But, art advocacy kept entering my mind, especially after reading Laura Chapman’s Status of Elementary Art Education: 1997-2004. Chapman’s article became the torch that I used to illuminate my path. It helped me to see what was important to me…the access of art education programs in every school in America. Because we can’t research everything all at once, I had to make a choice. So, I chose the art advocacy path and forged ahead. 

Each step up the mountain offered more insights as we learned about different research methods. When I got to the narrative research part of the mountain, I wanted to set up camp and take in my surroundings. I found myself drinking in the narrative research readings from week three. As I read Moen’s article Reflections on the Narrative Research Approach, I began to see ways in which I could include teacher’s voices in a scholarly manner to inform readers of the importance of art education in between the lines and beyond the statistics in Chapman’s article. While I was resting at the narrative research summit, I also explored readings beyond our classroom list. I felt compelled to find out more about narrative research as a methodology, and Josselson outlined the ethics issues in narrative research quite nicely for me in The Ethical Attitude in Narrative Research. Reading this article prior to engaging in my interview with an elementary school art teacher for my pilot study, was imperative. It taught me about keeping the voice of the participant intact, and also the importance of asking questions in an ethical manner, without leading the subject. 

I think my biggest takeaway from this class, is my improved work ethic and my drive to keep on going. This class has not been easy. There were many stumbling blocks and obstacles on my research journey. There were times when I felt like a failure, when I couldn’t understand the concepts in our readings or when the journey felt too difficult to go on. With every step, I gained more confidence. Sometimes not understanding a concept can be a blessing, as I searched for more information to illuminate understandings and gained even more insights. 



As I reached the top of the research mountain in this class, I have an amazing vantage point. I can look down and see how far I’ve come. I can also see that tops of other mountains yet to climb. It’s an exciting prospect, as I take in my surroundings, reflect on how far I've come, and feel hopeful about the amazing discoveries yet to be made. 

1 comment: