Friday, May 20, 2011

Talking ESEA/NCLB with Rep. Steve Stivers-OH 15

Today, I met with my Congressional Representative to present Parents Across America's ESEA/NCLB Position Paper.  I wasn't sure what to expect or how Representative Stivers would receive the information I presented.  He was in fact, gracious and receptive and we found some common ground regarding education.

First, I told him of my experience with Parenting Magazine's Mom Congress.  I also told him of my background as a volunteer and my after school art enrichment program for 4th graders as well as my studies in pursuing my masters of art education.

He agreed with me, that the curriculum had become much too narrow and that the emphasis on standardized testing was a problem.  He and I were also in agreement regarding arts education's potential to teach creativity and critical thinking and he felt that the arts were a necessary part of curriculum.

He also agreed that full day kindergarten and strong early education programs were very important, as many less advantaged children don't have the same learning opportunities at home as children in middle or upper class families.

He briefly scanned PAA ESEA/NCLB paper and said that he's not on the committee for this bill, but he would pass along the information to friends on the committee.  We didn't have the time to discuss every point in the position paper, but everything we touched on we seemed to agree on.  Unfortunately, we didn't get the chance to talk about charter schools or vouchers, and I am interested in hearing his thoughts about those matters in the future.

He also said that funding is a big problem right now as we are all well aware, but he feels that education should be a priority.  Mr. Stivers admitted that this bill was something that he was not fully educated on, but he planned to read our paper and wanted to keep in touch with me regarding these issues.

Our children's education is in the hands of lawmakers like Mr. Stivers.  It is critical that the  reauthorization of NCLB/ESEA be redirected towards more positive and common sense reform.  I hope that the PAA position paper and my words today had an impact and hopefully, he thinks of me and the other parents and teachers in Parens Across America when he's back in Washington speaking with his friends in congress about education reform.

No comments:

Post a Comment